Whispered Rants from the Tuttle-Tuttle Tree

Random thoughts, rantings, and musings. Displayed for all to see, because sometimes it's saner to rant to random strangers than to rant to yourself. Also, the voices in my head don't always appreciate it when I talk back to them. Go figure.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Recipe from Chez Anna

Ok, as anyone who's talked to me in the last few months knows, our household diet has had to change. We no longer have nearly the number of crap options in food that we used to devour and enjoy. Because of this, I've been doing a lot of experimenting with meals so that we aren't eating the same 6-ish 'safe' meals every week. The one I did tonight I have to share as it was yummy and it got rave reviews from everyone in the house. For those of you who know my house, you'll know how rare this is. (Although I have to admit here that rave reviews from Kiddo-2 simply means he did NOT spit the first bite back out into his hand before choking down the rest...hey, you take what you can get with 5 yr olds.) Anyway...here it is :)

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts
(To my vegetarian friends, sorry. The testosterone in the house demands meat. However tofu would easily work here, or skip the meat altogether.)
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/4 cup chopped onion
(or teaspoon of dehydrated onion)
1/2 cup julienned or sliced carrots
1 can water chestnuts
1/3 cup peanuts
1 can mandarine oranges
roughly 1/2 can pineapple
(I used the crushed kind tonight, half a can was plenty. If you want it to be pretty however, I advise using chunk. I will be next time, and will probably need more than half the can.)
brown rice

Cut chicken into half inch pieces and toss into pan with all of the choppables and carrots over medium high heat until chicken is cooked through. Add the pineapple, some of the pineapple juice, peanuts, and water chestnuts. Let it all simmer over medium heat while you make the rice. Let it cook until nearly all the juice is gone. How long this takes depends on how much pineapple juice you tossed in. When your rice is ready, add the mandarine oranges to the rest and lightly mix it up. (I made the mistake of adding some of the oranges when I added the pineapple, still yummy, but you have orange bits. Between the crushed pineapple and the bits it was more like a salsa. Again, this is really only something to keep in mind if you want it to be pretty.) Serve.

When all is said and done this serves 2 adults and small 2 kids (if you're dieting) or 2 adults (if you're not dieting and have your eye on small seconds).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home