Whispered Rants from the Tuttle-Tuttle Tree

Random thoughts, rantings, and musings. Displayed for all to see, because sometimes it's saner to rant to random strangers than to rant to yourself. Also, the voices in my head don't always appreciate it when I talk back to them. Go figure.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Wallowing in laziness..and other stuff

So I've done it. Some of you thought I couldn't. But I did. I spent 3 straight days wallowing in laziness. Aside from the very basic keeping the kids and dogs fed/watered/pottied...I did nothing! Ok ok I shampooed the carpet one day (comes clean before Nyxanu can rat her out) and emptied/refilled the dishwasher..but other than that...nada! I read, I sat, I surfed online...gotta say it felt really really good. I didn't even start going stir crazy 12 hours in like I normally would. So I'm thinking this was something I really needed. Between company, the hubby's business trips, family travel, science and art camps for the kids, and the new puppy...with very little breathing room in between...it's been a crazy couple of months. One very important thing this 'time off' did for me was help me regain a calm and patience with the kids that I'd feared I'd lost for good. It's great to have that back.

The Puppy : things are going moderately well. Our house has become an obstacle course of gates, real and makeshift, moveable and stationary. Makes things interesting when you need to get somewhere in a hurry (*glances down at her puffy and discolored ankle and shakes her head ruefully*) A few 'up' things = the smallest kiddo is finally warming up to the pup, isn't quite as scared of him as he was. Has even begun to play with him...cautiously. And both boys have finally begun closing the door when they use the restroom. They apparently don't appreciate the puppy's attentions when they're in there *laughs in twisted amusement*.

Also our oldest pooch has finally decided to eat again. He went on a hunger strike the second he got a nibble of the puppy's food, discovered how much better it tasted than his own (he has the weight management senior food) and then was forbidden it. He was outraged, and to show us who's boss, he decided he wasn't going to eat at all. Well, unless we held it in our hand...a nibble at a time. Spoiled brat. He also noticed the puppy was getting a treat every time he went outside...so he started waiting at the door, while the little one was out, then as we'd come in, he'd walk out the door, and right back in...he technically went outside, he should get a treat too, right? yep...a smart brat. (being the human I am, I started giving him his own dog food as his 'treat' ;p ) As of this morning, though, he's officially had two full meals that coincided with the pup's. He didn't turn his nose up, huff and walk away. He actually ate. So we're making progress.
Aside from making a few stickers and a bit of blogging, I've done little or no writing/painting/photo-shopping in the last month-plus.(Officially got the itch now though, so stay tuned) But I DID get a ton of reading done. Which I haven't done a lot of lately. Felt really good. And I had a perfect assortment awaiting me too, so I was able to decide if I wanted a 'feast', 'picnic' or 'dessert'. Happy to say I devoured all three. :) What do I mean by these definitions?

Well...There are some books that have so much depth and so many varied layers to them, they are like a several course meal. They pull you into their world, and give you so much to take in, from every angle, you feel like you can gorge yourself on them. They have adventure, intrigue, love, laughter, tears, texture, they make you think, and they entertain. All in one. And they're usually pretty long. These I consider a 'feast'.

Then there are those that are a fast read, they're entertaining, not particularly deep..they're that 'guilty pleasure' fluff read. They're like that piece of cherry cheesecake...yummy...they're gone in a hurry, so there's always the temptation to grab another slice...but there's really only so much cheesecake you can eat in a row before you're sick of it. These 'dessert' variety are perfect for giving your brain a break in between those feasts. They also don't take as long to get through, so your house doesn't get as neglected.

Then, of course, there are those that fall somewhere in between. They're mid length, flow nicely, are a nice little escape, have a little meat to em, but don't bog you down. They're easier to set down when you have other stuff you need to do, and easier to pick up again when you get interupted for an extended length of time. Everything a good picnic should be. Of the books I just finished? I'd definitely label Danse Macabre as a dessert, Time Traveler's Wife as a picnic, and Kushiel's Scion as a feast.

ok..book ramble over..for now. ;)

Other news? As of last weekend I'm an aunt again. :) Hehe, my three siblings have made me an aunt seven times in a little under 4 years. I now have 6 nieces and 1 nephew (on my side). All of em beautiful. (I'm not biased at all) And all of them live far too far away. *wistful sigh*

And I'm learning that no matter how hard I stare at all your avi icons...it doesn't make your pages update any faster. :P Go figure.

...That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home